We are now in our 21st year of helping goalies of all skill levels achieve success between the pipes. And once again, CGS students and coaches had excellent hockey seasons in 2014-15.
Here is a sampling of accomplishments:
- Coach Steve Carroll recently finished his 14th season as goalie coach for the Gustavus Adolphus College women’s hockey team. The Gusties won the regular season title for the 10th time in 11 years with a 15-2-1 record, 19-5-2 overall. The team’s starting goalie earned All-Conference honors and led the league with .92 goals against average and a .948 save percentage.
- Adam Wilcox, South St. Paul, Minn., University of Minnesota, signed professional contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Wilcox leaves Minnesota as the school’s all-time leader in career save percentage (.922) and career goals against average (2.09) while he is tied for the program’s career shutout record (13). The netminder’s 73 career wins are the most among active NCAA goalies and are tied for third all-time at Minnesota. Wilcox ends his college career with a 73-26-14 record (.710) while posting 22 or more wins in each of his three years with the Maroon & Gold. He trained with the Carroll Goalie School for a season during his youth hockey days when CGS was hired by the South St. Paul Youth Hockey Association to provide a series of in-season goalie clinics.
- John McLean, Eagan, Minn., Gustavus Adolphus College. Named MIAC Men’s All-Conference Honorable Mention Team. Signed professional contract with Pensacola Ice Flyers in Southern Professional Hockey League. Invited to Vancouver Canucks Prospects Development camp in July. Trained with CGS during years we ran goalie clinics for Eagan Hockey Association.
- Emma May, Cretin Derham Hall. Named top five finalist for Let’s Play Hockey Senior Goalie of the Year Award. Named to USA Today’s ALL-USA Girls High School Hockey team. Went 19-4-3 with a 1.63 goals-against average and a .916 save percentage this season. Had 59 career wins and was all-conference all four years. Plans to play for University of Minnesota next season. Here is an article about Emma. www.gophersports.com/sports/w-hockey/spec-rel/062115aaa.html. She trained with CGS during years we ran goalie clinics for Eagan Hockey Association and during private lessons.
- Lindsey Brown, Mounds View, Minn., was named American Hockey Coaches Association Second Team All-American following her senior season at Saint Anselm College. Trained at CGS early in her goaltending career.
- Jenna Traut, St. Cloud, Minn., College of St. Benedict. The senior was named to MIAC Women’s All-Conference Team. Trained at CGS camp during high school.
- Will Swanson, Mahtomedi High School. Selected to Minnesota Hockey’s NIT High Performance 18 team. Led Zephyrs to third place finish at 2015 State Boys High School Hockey Tournament. One of 36 goalies nationwide invited to participate in USA Hockey’s Warren Strelow Goalie Camp in Ann Arbor, Michigan in May. Trained at CGS camp and during one-on-one training sessions when playing youth hockey.
- Jake Begley, Hill-Murray High School. The sophomore helped Pioneers reach the 2015 State Boys High School Hockey Tournament. Invited to tryout for USA Hockey’s National Development program in Ann Arbor, Michigan. One of 36 goalies nationwide invited to participate in USA Hockey’s Warren Strelow Goalie Camp in Ann Arbor, Michigan in May. Trained at CGS camp and during one-on-one training sessions when playing youth hockey.
- Dyllan Lubbesmeyer, Burnsville High School. Selected as winner of Frank Brimsek Award, presented to top senior goalie in boys high school hockey. Trained with CGS during years we ran in-season goalie clinics for Burnsville Hockey Club.
- Lauren Bench, Burnsville High School. The junior announced her commitment to play Division I hockey at Bemidji State University. Trained with CGS during years we ran in-season goalie clinics for Burnsville Hockey Club.
- Jacob Brown, Burnsville Bantam B2. He had 17-6 record with eight shutouts and two assists. He won a free blocker and catch glove from Brian’s Custom Sports for being among the hundreds of goalies who submitted shutouts to the Carroll Goalie School/Brian’s Shutout Wall that appeared weekly in Let’s Play Hockey Newspaper. Trained with CGS during years we ran in-season goalie clinics for Burnsville Hockey Club. Trains at the CGS Advanced Skills Camp we offer in September.
- Kaitlyn Pellicci, Eastview High School. Led Lightning to 2015 State Girls High School Hockey Tournament. Trained with CGS during years we ran goalie clinics for the REV hockey program.
- Jake Kielly, Eden Prairie, plays for the Austin Bruins. One of the top goalies in the North American Hockey League. Trained at CGS camp during his youth hockey days.